The Drathen winery has been in family possession for over 100 years whose forefathers originated from the Netherlands making their way to the Moselle via Linz on the Rhine River. The Peter Josef Drathen winery was founded in 1860 with its home in St. Aldegund and was renamed in 1927 as the Josef Drathen winery through settlement of the estate. On the death of the founder Josef Drathen in 1939 the winery was run by his widow Else, her niece Grete Gesthüsen with her husband Hugo until 1969. On 1 July 1969 the next generation represented by Arthur Gesthüsen, Dieter Gesthüsen and Josef Zirwes took over and successfully ran the business for about 30 years. By using careful business policies it was possible to open a completely new and modern winemaking facility in the business park on Zell-Barl in 1993. Since 1996 the management of the business has been in the hands of the younger generation of the family represented by Tim Gesthüsen and Jürgen Zirwes.
Headquarters in times of change
The photo dating from the year 1904/1905 shows the winemaking building of the Peter Josef Drathen company in St. Aldegund. In the foreground a large number of wine casks can be seen as these were used in those days, as they are partially today, to allow the wine to mature.
The original building was significantly enlarged through conversions and extensions in 1975 and 1983. The capacities created at the headquarters in St. Aldegund sufficed during the successful company expansion until 1991.
In order to meet the requirements of the continually growing customer base at home and abroad it was then decided to go ahead with a new company building at a new location: In 1992 the winery found its new home in Zell on the Barl hilltop business park.